Michelin-starred chefs and award-winning mixologists bring limited-time events to the high seas for the second year in a row.
MIAMI, FL – July 20, 2023 – Virgin Voyages is calling seasoned foodies and travelers craving a delicious getaway to celebrate the brand’s second annual Eat & Drink Festival. Spanning across two months, this culinary and cocktail showcase aboard Richard Branson’s travel fleet promises exciting international flavors, unique pairings, and incredible bites all brought to life through the brand's award-winning food and beverage offerings.
This August and September, Sailors aboard Virgin Voyages’ three ships - Scarlet Lady, Valiant Lady and Resilient Lady - can sink their teeth into a series of gastronomic events created by the brand’s Culinary Collective and brought to life by the talented chefs aboard each vessel. From multi-course dinners and wine pairings to chef-led demos, ship-wide bar experiences, healthy walkabouts and special amuse bouches to start any meal in style, Sailors are sure to be surprised and delighted with the event line-up and special chef appearances.
Back for the second consecutive year are culinary powerhouses including Brad Farmerie, Sohui Kim, Eric Kim Haugen, Matt Lambert, Silvana Salcido Esparza, Waki Ng and Virgin Voyages’ very own Chef Levi Mezick, along with legendary mixologists Charles Joly, and Miami beverage creators Unfiltered Hospitality and Cocktail Cartel. Joining the festivities for the first time ever are:
- George Motz, Emmy Award-winning filmmaker, author and producer called the foremost authority on hamburgers by The New York Times.
- The Taste Curators: Lish Steiling and Abbey Cook, cookbook authors and a wife duo who inspire joy by showcasing the connections between food, fashion and color. A former “Chopped” champion, Lish has worked for The Today Show, Vanity Fair, The Food Network and Epicurious. Abbey is a color and trend forecaster who’s worked for Malhia Kent, Martha Stewart, Doneger Group and Cotton Incorporated.
- The Couple’s Kitchen: James Briscione and Brooke Parkhurst, who opened their first restaurant, Angelena’s Ristorante Italiano, in Pensacola, FL. Brooke is both Wine Director and Director of Marketing. Prior to opening the restaurant, James was a Food Network personality with multiple wins on “Beat Bobby Flay.”
- Effie Panagopoulos, the first Greek woman in history to start a liquor brand: KLEOS Mastiha Spirit, a premium liqueur made with mastiha, an ancient Greek superfood found only in Chios.
- Mark Farrell, the founder of Ten to One Rum who was born in Trinidad & Tobago before attending MIT, the University of Cambridge and finally Harvard Business School. He created Ten to One, which is grounded in authentic elements of Caribbean culture and heritage.
- Burnt Sage out of Barcelona, a dynamic consulting firm that emerged in 2021 from the fusion of two rival bars in Barcelona: Lilith & Sons and Kyoudai 33.
- Miami’s Finest, including Danilo Bozovic of Swizzle, Robert Valls of The Sylvester, Arnoldo Ferrer of Cafe La Trova and Naren Young of Sweet Liberty.
- Barcelona’s Finest, including Marta Calero of Piñata Cocktail Cantina, Baptiste Etcheverry of Lilith & Sons, Ivan Di Giovanni of Marlowe and Ana Michel Alves Martínez of Collage Cocktail Bar.
Virgin Voyages is also collaborating with its time-honored beverage partners Intelligentsia, JoJo Tea and Filthy Food to host hands-on events for Sailors during the Eat & Drink Festival. This year’s line-up includes more than 30 special activations including two anchor events and dedicated happenings aboard each ship.
Fresh off a Wine Spectator “Award of Excellence” win for its 1920s-inspired steakhouse, The Wake, Virgin Voyages continues to draw Sailors back with its elevated food & beverage and impeccable service. The new brand – less than two years old – recently swept the Cruise Critic 2023 Cruisers’ Choice Awards, taking home a win for best dining, a pillar of the on-board experience and revered in Sailor reviews and editorial articles alike. Pink Agave, the brand’s Mexican eatery known for serving up authentic street food in a sleek Tom Dixon-designed space, also won best dining venue in TravelAge West’s recent WAVE Awards. Given the success of its Michelin-inspired menus, six signature eateries and unique ever-evolving menus, Virgin Voyages is proving that the reimagined cruise dining concept is here to stay.
Sailors wanting a taste of the Eat & Drink Festival will receive a $300 Bar Tab when they book voyages during August and September. To reserve a cabin or to learn more about Virgin Voyages’ special F&B events, visit www.VirginVoyages.com or contact your First Mate (travel advisor).
- Anchor Event: Taste of The Galley - Sailors can let their inner foodies run wild in The Galley, the chic food hall dreamt up to defy the traditional cruise buffet. Every sea day between 4 and 7 p.m., The Galley transforms into a gastronomic showcase offering a diverse array of flavors from all around the world. From Chef Matt Lambert comes a Meaty Boy Sandwich at Virgin Voyages’ 24-hour Diner & Dash while Chef Waki Ng delivers a flavor-packed punch with his Hiyashi Chuka, (Japanese cold soba noodles) at Noodle Around. Cost: Included
- Anchor Event: Seven Sea Sippers - An elevated bar crawl disguised as a cocktail treasure hunt comes alive in Seven Seas Sippers. Following a map Captain Jack Sparrow would be impressed with, Sailors embark on an adventure across the ship. Along their route, they’ll explore popular watering holes, taste seven distinct cocktails or mocktails and earn stamps to earn a shot at claiming a secret treasure. Cost: $9-15 per cocktail
- Razzle Dazzle by Night - Teased during last year’s Eat & Drink Month, this elevated dining concept at Razzle Dazzle is back and here to stay. Designed by Food Network’s Chef Eric Kim Haugen, the new menu at this eatery is anything but black & white like its signature WWI-inspired design. Featuring veggie-forward dishes and reimagined American classics like a short rib pastrami and Nashville hot cauliflower, Razzle Dazzle by Night has quickly become a Sailor favorite. Paired with a fresh drink menu from Miami’s Cocktail Cartel Co., the curated libations are not to be missed. Cost: Included
- Amuse Bouche at Signature Eateries - Specially crafted by the talented chefs in Virgin Voyages’ Culinary Collective, these unique and inventive bouches are the perfect beginning to an unforgettable culinary journey. Cost: Included
- Flavors Uncorked - Hosted at The Wake, Virgin Voyages’ glamorous steak & seafood eatery, Flavors Uncorked is a five-course dinner menu by Michelin-starred Chef Brad Farmerie. This decadent dining experience comes complete with Champagne, oysters two ways and a grilled Tomahawk steak, all paired with wines to amplify the flavor profiles. Cost: $125/Sailor or $250/two Sailors
- Path of Negroni - An Italian classic made with a combination of Campari, sweet vermouth and gin, the Negroni a perfect blend of simplicity and sophistication that’s enamored bartenders worldwide. Its endless adjustable template has inspired the Negroni Family Tree, giving mixologists – and now Sailors – the freedom to explore & create their own variations. Cost: $50/Sailor
- Juice Walk - Virgin Voyages’ detox and retox concept comes alive with Juice Walk, a traveling juice bar walkabout weaving Sailors through the ship’s can't-miss juice and smoothie spaces. Designed to get Sailors active & engaged, the multi-stop workout led by The Balancer travels across the ship and features built-in recovery stops. During these delicious breaks, Sailors can sip & savor healthy fruit & veggie-forward libations while mingling with fellow Sailors. And for those who complete the circuit, there may be a “naughty” bevvy waiting. Cost: $25/Sailor
Events by Ship
- Let's Mushroom Around - This interactive, demo-style cooking class gives Sailors the opportunity to discover the techniques behind two of Virgin Voyages’ most iconic mushroom-inspired dishes: The Test Kitchen’s Mushroom Mousse and Razzle Dazzle’s Mushroom Tartare. Cost: $25/Sailor
- Bubbles & Bites a Champagne and Fried Chicken Affair - Like the iconic duos of peanut butter & jelly or macaroni & cheese, savory fried chicken was meant to be enjoyed with Champagne… or so we’re saying. During this delightful and surprising pairing, Sailors will sample three luxurious Champagne varieties followed by a crispy and savory fried chicken. Cost: $45/Sailor
- Rum Runners - Follow the tales of rum and its unlawful origins in a tasting experience temming with fascinating history, intriguing characters, and expert craftsmanship (plus daring pirate tales and prohibition anecdotes on the side). Cost: $35/Sailor
- Shot for Shot - During this interactive beverage class hosted in The Test Kitchen, Sailors will drink and click their way to a whole new level of self-expression: making four signature cocktails and snapping the perfect Insta-worthy photo. Cost: $50/Sailor
- Miami's Finest: Bar Takeover - We’re bringing the best of Miami's bar scene to the sea for an exclusive (and unprecedented) collaboration that pushes the boundaries of mixology curated by Unfiltered Hospitality. Cost: Varies per Cocktail
- Chef Cooking Demo: Eric Kim Haugen - During this chef demo, Eric will demonstrate his vegan version of Nashville hot chicken using cauliflower accompanied by butterhead lettuce, pickled vegetables and plant-based ranch. Eric will be on-board Aug. 9. Cost: $25/Sailor
- Chef Cooking Demo: Waki Ng - With more than 20 years of experience, award-winning Waki specializes in contemporary sushi preparation and original ramen creations. Now at the helm of Shinka Ramen & Sake in New York City, Waki will show Sailors how to prepare Hiyashi Chuka, or Japanese cold soba noodles. Waki will be on-board Aug. 14. Cost: $25/Sailor
- Chef Cooking Demo: George Motz - Recognized by The New York Times and Eater LA as the ultimate hamburger authority, George brings his skills to the high seas, teaching Sailors to create his famous Motz burgers, washed down with a refreshing Heineken lager. George will be on-board Aug. 23. Cost: $25/Sailor
- Chef Cooking Demo: Matt Lambert - Known for his restaurant Rodd & Gunn, Michelin-star chef Matt Lambert created the original menu for The Test Kitchen and is back to wow Sailors yet again with an on-board cooking demo. They’ll create a tuna red pepper tart with bonito custard and chili lime dressing. Matt will be on-board Sept. 20. Cost: $25/Sailor
- Let's Get Choco-Lit - A mix between chocolate worship and pastry workshop, this mouthwatering culinary demo is a treat for anyone who loves baked sweets. Sailors will awaken their inner chocolatier through the world of luscious flavors, rich textures and tantalizing aromas as they discover the art of making exquisite chocolate pralines and irresistible rocher treats. Cost: $25/Sailor
- Master The Art of (White) Wine - Swirl. Smell. Savor. In this sensory journey, Sailors will learn how to appreciate the nuances of white wine like a pro in a 60-minute wine-tasting class at The Wake. Cost: $45/Sailor
- Barcelona's Finest: Bar Takeover - We’re bringing the best of Barcelona’s bar scene to the sea for an exclusive (and unprecedented) collaboration that pushes the boundaries of mixology curated by Burnt Sage. Cost: Varies per Cocktail
- Chef Cooking Demo: Brad Farmerie - Known for the Big Apple’s Michelin-starred PUBLIC and Saxon+Parole, Farmerie created the limited-time Flavors Uncorked experience at The Wake. He also created a special heirloom tomato and cantaloupe gazpacho to demo for Sailors. Brad will be on-board Aug. 6. Cost: $25/Sailor
- Chef Cooking Demo: Silvana Salcido Esparza - Featured in Esquire Magazine and on Food Network’s “Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives,” Silvana created the menu at Pink Agave and is back to offer an interactive guacamole demo for Sailors. Silvana will be on-board Sept 3. Cost: $25/Sailor
- Chef Cooking Demo: Matt Lambert - Known for his restaurant Rodd & Gunn, Michelin-star chef Matt Lambert created the original menu for The Test Kitchen and is back to wow Sailors yet again with an on-board cooking demo. They’ll create a tuna red pepper tart with bonito custard and chili lime dressing. Matt will be on-board Sept. 10. Cost: $25/Sailor
- Chef Cooking Demo: Sohui Kim - Known for NYC’s The Good Fork, Insa and Gage & Tollner, Sohui Kim brings a taste of Korean tradition to the ships with her dynamic dumplings dish. Learn to make this delicious comfort meal at Gunbae, the only Korean BBQ at sea. Sohui will be on-board Sept. 17. Cost: $25/Sailor
- Acai What You Did There - During this demo at The Test Kitchen, Sailors will learn how to make a tempting açaí bowl with healthy toppings, the perfect blend of taste and nutrition for those with little time and a big sweet tooth. Cost: $25/Sailor
- Master The Art of (Red) Wine - Swirl. Smell. Savor. In this sensory journey, Sailors will learn how to appreciate the nuances of red wine like a pro in a 60-minute wine-tasting class at The Wake. Cost: $45/Sailor
- Shot For Shot - During this interactive beverage class hosted in The Test Kitchen, Sailors will drink and click their way to a whole new level of self-expression: making four signature cocktails and snapping the perfect Insta-worthy photo. Cost: $50/Sailor
- Chef Cooking Demo: Silvana Salcido Esparza - Featured in Esquire Magazine and on Food Network’s “Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives,” Silvana created the menu at Pink Agave and is back to offer an interactive guacamole demo for Sailors. Silvana will be on-board Aug. 27. Cost: $25/Sailor
- Chef Cooking Demo: Matt Lambert - Known for his restaurant Rodd & Gunn, Michelin-star chef Matt Lambert created the original menu for The Test Kitchen and is back to wow Sailors yet again with an on-board cooking demo. They’ll create a tuna red pepper tart with bonito custard and chili lime dressing. Matt will be on-board Sept. 3. Cost: $25/Sailor
- Chef Cooking Demo: Sohui Kim - Known for NYC’s The Good Fork, Insa and Gage & Tollner, Sohui Kim brings a taste of Korean tradition to the ships with her dynamic dumplings dish. Learn to make this delicious comfort meal at Gunbae, the only Korean BBQ at sea. Sohui will be on-board Aug. 13. Cost: $25/Sailor
About Virgin Voyages
Set Sail the Virgin Way with Virgin Voyages, the irresistible travel brand founded by Sir Richard Branson. Delivering epic vacations at sea, Virgin Voyages launched at the end of 2021. The brand's four Lady Ships – inspired by 50+ years of Virgin history – include Scarlet Lady, Valiant Lady, Resilient Lady and Brilliant Lady. Designed for discerning travelers, Virgin Voyages offers relaxing, exclusively adult (18+) sailings. Working with a Creative Collective of the world’s most sought-after designers, performance artists and architects, Virgin Voyages delivers an enchanting boutique hotel at sea with fresh, elevated spaces that strike the perfect balance of nautical chic and glamour. Currently departing from the sun-soaked cities of Miami, Barcelona and Athens – and soon to include San Juan and Melbourne – the fleet offers itineraries to more than 100 awe-inspiring destinations across four continents. Virgin Sailors are spoiled for choice with 20 eateries offering Michelin-star culinary experiences all included, a festival-like line-up of entertainment, stylish and comfortable cabins, Rockstar Quarters, authentic and locally inspired shore excursions, and a dose of Vitamin Sea with well-being naturally intertwined throughout the experience. Promising to Create an Epic Sea Change for All, Virgin Voyages also puts sustainability front and center.